OPENING A BUSINESS IN MCALLEN
- BUSINESS STRUCTURE Determine the basic legal structure of the business and properly record the business name. There are several legal structures available for businesses operating in Texas. Each structure is listed below with a brief description of the entity.
- REGISTER BUSINESS NAME WITH THE STATE Once the legal structure of the business has been determined, and if a separate business name will be used, the business name must be registered with the Secretary of State and/or the county clerk’s office.
- FILING THE ASSUMED NAME CERTIFICATE WITH THE COUNTY CLERK If a corporation will transact business under names other than that stated in the articles of incorporation, the corporation must also file an Assumed Name Certificate with the county clerk in which the principal office and registered office of the corporation are located.
- ZONING Once the site of the new business is determined, it will be necessary to visit the McAllen Zoning Enforcement Department in order to insure the business location is in the proper zone and meets city requirements.
- TAX RESPONSIBILITIES All businesses which will have taxable sales and/or taxable labor must contact the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in order to obtain a sales and use tax permit and process state sales tax information.
- EMPLOYER FEDERAL & STATE REQUIREMENTS Determine the federal and state employer requirements and obligations, such as labor and safety.
- BUSINESS ASSISTANCE RESOURCES Click here to find additional business assistance resources such as accountants, banks, real estate companies, business consulting companies and attorneys.
For electronic copy in English, Spanish or French, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org