CEO Rio Grande
HCA Gulf Coast Division President
1) What is your favorite book? 100 Years of Solitude, written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I learned a lot from this very interesting novel.
2) What is your favorite movie? My all time favorite movie is “Under the Tuscan Sun” with Diane Lane. I love Italian architecture, art, and food so a movie based in Italy was bound to be my favorite.
3) What was your favorite vacation spot? My husband and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary a few years ago. We decided to take a cruise to Greece, which is now one of our favorite vacation spots. The cruise started in Venice, then Italy, and then made its way to Santorini. What an amazing experience!
4) What is your life’s motto? “When life gets too hard to stand . . . kneel.”
5) Where were you born? I was born in Edinburg, Texas. I’m a Valley girl. My career started at Rio Grande Regional Hospital in 1982 as a lab supervisor. In order to expand my career, we moved to Houston. After receiving my master’s degree in hospital administration and becoming a CEO, I was transferred to Louisiana and then Kansas. In November of 2012 I had the good fortune to come back home to the Rio Grande Valley as CEO for Rio Grande Regional Hospital.
6) What was a life-changing event in your life? There are two life changing events in my life. One is from a personal perspective and the other is from a healthcare executive viewpoint. Personally, becoming a wife, mother, and grandma has been life changing. The joy it brings to my heart is enormous! Another life-changing event involves my professional development. Progressing from a phlebotomist to a CEO over the course of my career was possible because of the support I received from my family, friends, mentors, and co-workers.
7) What makes you laugh? My grandkids. I have a six-year-old grandson and a two-year-old granddaughter. They are loving, curious, funny, happy, and smart little kids whom I adore.
8) What is the question you most want answered? When are we going to be a more united nation?
9) What is the happiest thing for you to think about? The happiest thing for me to think about is the future of my grandkids. What will that look like? I want to help them achieve their fullest potential. I hope and pray that I live long enough to see that come true.
10) What was your favorite TV show growing up? That takes me back to a long time ago. It was The Barbara Mandrell Show. I used to love to hear Ms. Mandrell sing with her sisters. As a side note, my favorite part was watching the show with my family. That was the greatest of all!
11) What is the first thing you do each morning? I start with a prayer and a kiss. I thank God for another day and ask that He take care of me, my family, and my home. Then I kiss my hubby good morning.
12) What are any apps or other technology you use to get things done? I use my iPhone all the time. Calling or texting helps me communicate promptly. It helps me get things done in a timely manner.
13) What is the last thing you do before going to bed? Say my prayers and kiss my husband.