President, Holiday Wine & Liquor
1) What is your favorite book? Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman. It’s about understanding what goes on inside people emotionally. It gives one a better understanding of what’s happening in oneself and then gives the reader a better understanding of what’s happening in other people, allowing for better communications.
2) What is your favorite movie? The Man from Snowy River. It’s about young love and determination. It’s set in Australia and is about a wealthy ranching family. Kirk Douglas was the rancher who had a brother who struck out in a different way to try to find fame and fortune. A young man fell in love with the daughter of the rich rancher and consequently had to prove himself to be worthy of the daughter. It’s a good, clean, wholesome kind of movie.
3) What was your favorite vacation spot? Napa, California. The wine, the food, the people, the ambiance – it’s beautiful country. Even though some of it is work for me, it’s very relaxing. The wineries do a fantastic job in maintaining their grounds so it’s just beautiful country. They do a great job of hosting us.
4) What is your life’s motto? Focus and persevere. If we don’t focus, we’re all over the place and we need to keep at it, persevere. I believe in what I do and I just keep doing it because I know it’s going to work.
5) Where were you born? Mercedes, Texas.
6) What was a life-changing event in your life? I would have to say it would be marriage because I had to deliver, it wasn’t just me now. It was a serious responsibility.
7) What makes you laugh? I love comedy, I love good comedians. I watch as many shows as I can – Chris Rock is brilliant. Movies as well. Ultimately, I guess just the unexpected witty answers people come up with.
8) What is the question you most want answered? Right now the thing I read about the most is what is happening politically. I wonder when the word “compromise” will no long be considered a bad thing.
9) What is the happiest thing for you to think about? At this stage, my three grandkids.
10) What was your favorite TV show growing up? In late high school, Johnny Carson. Before that, it was probably Gunsmoke, those western shows would keep me entertained.
11) What is the first thing you do each morning? The first productive thing I do is check out what’s happening at my little farm in Weslaco. We grow and sell hay and I have a few cattle up there also, but mainly I grow Texas Valley Lemons which are called Meyer lemons. I sell them to H-E-B. They will say DLT Distributing and go under the name Texas Valley Lemon.
12) What are any apps or other technology you use to get things done? The cellphone keeps me so connected. When we were in Spain a couple of weeks ago, I did a lot through apps on the cellphone, email, and text messages.
13) What is the last thing you do before going to bed? I watch the news.