Every year, the McAllen Chamber of Commerce honors the community’s Top Five Small Businesses, and this year’s honorees are just outstanding!
Small businesses drive the success of our community. The investment, and jobs created and sustained by small businesses, are essential to the overall health of McAllen. They are a key indicator of the economic vitality of our city.
Here are this year’s winners:
- Boultinghouse Simpson Gates Architects was established in 1990 when two firms owned by Danny Boultinghouse and Bob Simpson merged. The firm is well known for its quality work and involvement in the community. The company has seen a 333% increase in employment and has also seen a steady 5% increase in business the last three years while expanding into San Antonio, Laredo, and Buda.
The firm has completed numerous major projects over the years including the McAllen Public Library, the Museum of South Texas History, the McAllen Chamber of Commerce, several STC buildings, and the Cooper Center at STC. The firm has been involved in Leadership McAllen, the Valley Land Fund, Quinta Mazatlán, and the Museum of South Texas History, just to name a few.
- Family Hope Center was established in 1994 with the idea of providing counseling and medical services to the uninsured in McAllen. The business was incorporated in 1996 and saw their first counseling patient in 1998 and their first Medical patient in 1999. Their patients are people who have no insurance and are 200% below the federal poverty level.
The center has grown from four staff members in 2007 to 20 in 2018. The center has been thriving by gaining grants, donations, and other support to build its operations. They have seen a 70% increase in the number of patients they see, an 845% increase in budget, and a 400% increase in staff.
- Futuro Clinical Trials was established in 1993 by Dr. Joseph Caporusso when pharmaceutical companies were seeking test subjects who suffered from diabetes-related foot issues. The region had a large number of patients suffering from diabetes and was one of the larger Hispanic markets in the United States.
Since then, the company has grown by over 133% in employment and has brought new and innovative treatments to the region. Dr. Caporusso has been active in the McAllen School District and has served on its school board, the school foundation, Leadership McAllen, Quinta Mazatlán and the McAllen Convention Center Advisory Board.
- McAllen Orthodontic Group was established in 1983 by Dr. John Gerling and has nine employees. It has seen a steady increase in business ever since. Dr. Gerling has been committed to having a positive impact in the community and has held numerous leadership positions on several non-profits in McAllen. He was selected as the Man of the Year in 2012.
Dr. Gerling has been active with the International Museum of Art and Science (president), Palm Valley Animal Center, Quinta Mazatlán Board (president), and McAllen EDC. He has done numerous dental mission trips to Central and South America.
- R&D Personnel was established by Yolanda and Ricardo Gonzalez in 1997 and has seen a 23% increase in their business over the last three years and has grown to nine full-time employees. The business is active with Easter Seals, South Texas Manufacturing Association, numerous internship programs, and the Texas Department of Assistive Rehabilitative Services.
R&D Personnel is active in the McAllen Chamber Commerce, Southwest Minority Supplier Development Council, and the Society of Human Resources. The company has a strong belief in being involved and giving back.