McAllen ISD is one of just 17 school districts in the US and Canada to earn the prestigious 2022 Annual Achievement of Excellence in Procurement® (AEP) from the National Procurement Institute, Inc. (NPI). This is the ninth time in 10 years McAllen ISD has achieved this international recognition.
The AEP Award is earned by public and non-profit agencies that demonstrate a commitment to procurement excellence. This annual program recognizes procurement organizations that embrace innovation, professionalism, productivity, leadership, and e-procurement.
McAllen ISD also won the NPI award in 2013-18 and 2020-21.
The AEP program encourages the development of excellence as well as continued organizational improvement to earn the award annually. For 2022, there were 171 successful applicants, including 36 counties, 73 cities, 14 higher education agencies, 17 school districts, 15 special districts, five state or provincial agencies, and 11 others.
In addition to the National Procurement Institute, Inc. (NPI), the AEP is sponsored by the California Association of Public Procurement Officials (CAPPO), Canadian Public Procurement Council/Conseil Canadien des marchés publics (CPPC), Florida Association of Public Procurement Officials (FAPPO), National Association of Educational Procurement (NAEP), National Association of State Procurement Officials (NASPO), NIGP: The Institute for Public Procurement and Texas Public Purchasing Association (TxPPA). The AEP is supported by the Airport Purchasing Group (APG), OMINA Partners, Sustainable Purchasing Leadership Council (SPLC), and the Universal Public Procurement Certification Council (UPPCC).
McAllen ISD has won several major awards this year for its sound fiscal practices. These include:
- The Certificate of Achievement in Excellence in Financial Reporting by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for its Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) for the 12th consecutive fiscal year (2010-21). The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in governmental accounting and financial reporting and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management.
- Earning the state’s highest mark by TEA’s School FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas), 19 times in 20 years (including 15 perfect scores).
- Recognized for excellence in budget presentation with the Meritorious Budget Award (MBA) for the 2021–22 budget year. This is the seventh straight year (2016-22) McAllen ISD has been recognized for its comprehensive budget presentation. The award has come from the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO) for budget years 2017-18 through 2021-22 while the district had previously received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award by the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for budget years 2015-16 and 2016-17.
- Maintaining a high credit rating from a major credit-rating service (Moody’s).
- Earned Transparency Stars from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts in Debt Obligations for exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public debt and the Transparency Star in the area of traditional finances for exemplary efforts in creating financial transparency around public services and spending decisions.
- The Texas Association of School Business Officials (TASBO) has presented the Award of Merit for Purchasing Operations to McAllen ISD five times including the last two consecutive years. The Award of Merit recognizes Texas school districts that are committed to following professional standards in the acquisition of goods and services. McAllen ISD has won this award in 2014, ’15, ’16, ’21, and ’22.
National Procurement Institute, Inc.